Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tip 2: Set a Time Limit

This next suggestion is something I’ve used several times and is a bit unusual and, quite frankly, can seem a bit rude. Before being transferred, you’ll likely be put on hold. I hate being put on hold, especially when I’m on a cell phone. A few companies will have a message while you’re on hold stating how much longer you’ll need to wait. But unfortunately, most companies still use some sort of annoying hold music, and you’ll have no idea how long you’ll actually be waiting. I’ve dealt with hold times from anywhere between 5 and 25 minutes. Even the low end feels like a lifetime when you’re waiting to speak to someone about a problem or issue you’re having.

So one option is to ask the rep before he or she transfers you, “How long will I be on hold for?” Sometimes, they’ll say something like, “Less than 5 minutes.” But other times they’ll say, “I’m not sure; it depends on when the next supervisor is available.” This is a legitimate response, since many call centers just use a queue for supervisors that you’ll be put into. But as a customer, I think you should demand better service. This is when I respond, “I need to speak to a supervisor within 3 minutes. Please make sure they pick up in that time or less.”

If they agree, you can add my classic zinger, “Okay, go ahead and put me on hold. I’ll be timing you.” You might be thinking that this is a bit rude…I can’t totally disagree with that. But think about it this way…why doesn’t their system have a feature to tell a customer how long they’ll need to wait? Or better yet, why don’t they have the option to have a supervisor call you back as soon as they are available (some companies actually do have this option…assuming your issue isn’t a timely emergency, I highly recommend taking advantage of this). So I don’t think you should feel bad about demanding timely customer service…after all, you are the customer, and the customer service department exists to help you. Your ability to help them help you will be the subject of Tip 3...

No comments:

Post a Comment